LEARNING & DEVELOPMENT
Marwadi University 360-Degree learning opportunity has an in-house pioneering initiative to hone the skills of faculty and students alike – a Learning & Development vertical lead by a full-time Director coupled with a Communication skills department with a total team size of over 30+ trainers and motivators striving to produce quality human resource in alignment with the industry needs, who can essentially add value to the organisation wherein they join post completing their academic programmes.
Important pillars of this secondary institute comprise of Campus to Corporate Curriculum, Employability Index, Nurturing Communication Skills, and sharpening soft skills through Learning and Development programmes.
WHAT ARE FACULTY DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMMES
Making a transition from the average teacher to an accomplished facilitator in today’s competitive world takes more than hard work and management skills – it requires an understanding of every nuance of the teaching-learning process to get there. The Faculty Development Programme is carefully structured to accelerate and streamline the professional transformation.
This programme helps the Faculty fine-tune the skills learned and also facilitates programmes that help them acquire new skills and learning to stay in front of the line. The FDP also provides our faculty with a chance at peer-to-peer learning and innovation to provide the kind of teaching that will enthuse students.
The programme is designed to enhance the teaching and supplementary skills of the faculty and to make them aware of ever-evolving teaching tools and methodologies.
FDP provides an opportunity to acquire knowledge about current technological developments in relevant fields.
This programme promotes the professional practices relevant to technical education and motivates the faculty to achieve a competitive teaching and learning environment, thus channelizing development in the professional as well as the personal field.
The focal areas of training – separately or in combination – are as below:
- Communication Skills
- Pedagogical Skills
- Innovative Teaching Methods
The programme integrates personal awareness and practical knowledge to help improve facilitation skills and build greater confidence.
Through a series of three on-campus modules, a complete makeover can be provided. The programme integrates personal awareness and practical knowledge to help improve facilitation skills and build greater confidence.
This consists of four components, namely:
- Communication Skills: An “in-camera” experience where the Faculty will be provided a review and feedback through a video capture of the presentation. This not only provides a thorough understanding of the improvements that are needed but will also focus on the strong points. The confidence will get boosted through this experience
- Listening Skills: One of the most important attributes required by a Teacher. Through a series of activities and examples, the forms of listening and non-listening skills will be discussed and experienced
- Communicating with Impact: through a reading exercise, faculty will be able to experience the changes that will make them a better communicator
- Problem Solving Technique: A Teacher needs to be a problem solver. This module utilises Case Studies to highlight Problem-Solving Abilities.
Change Management: The changes needed to facilitate the learning of today’s learner will get highlighted in this module.
The Theoretical Backgrounds: The module highlights the theoretical aspects of pedagogy like the Howard Gardner’s theory of Multiple Intelligence and the Bloom’s Taxonomy
The Lesson Planner: Building a strong lesson plan always helps in spreading the syllabi suitably and comfortably to suit the need of the Learner.
A practical hands-on approach that demonstrates the interactive teaching methodology, with the use of innovative teaching aids.
A peer evaluation will also be there.
The FDP is designed for teachers who have a minimum of 3 years of experience and are desirous of making the classroom teaching interactive. A judicious mix of senior and junior teachers is advised, including a blend of different streams of Science, Commerce, and Humanities. Teachers who need to develop their confidence levels, sharpen their teaching/facilitation skills will benefit most from this programme. Ideally a group of 25 would be the best number and would benefit from individual attention that can be provided.
MARWADI UNIVERSITY SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP
SIG: Special Interest Group
A Special Interest Group (SIG) is a community within a stream identified with a shared interest in advancing a specific area of knowledge, learning, or technology where members cooperate to affect or to produce solutions within their particular field and may communicate, meet, and organise conferences.
SIG formed from the leading group of Students who have secured a CGPA of 6, goes through a special purpose skills training that is designed to upgrade their skills from the Second Year of their studies.
This programme is also structured to run as follows:
- SIG 3 in the third semester focuses on Communication Skills and study methods
- SIG 4 in the fourth semester focuses on Teaming and Problem Solving
- SIG 6 in the sixth semester focuses on the Teachability – Assessment, Alignment, and Attitude
- SIG 7 in the seventh semester focuses on Finishing skills and Grooming with emphasis on Industry expectations, finishing skills, grooming, and etiquette.
- There is an optional SIG 8 in the eighth and final semester that focuses on People management, leadership, and personality building. These programmes are essentially hands-on and activity-oriented and the facilitator will oversee the development of the student from the raw to a budding professional.
GD & PI GROUP DISCUSSION & PERSONAL INTERVIEWS
As a part of the Finishing Skills Programme, the students are trained to participate in Group Discussions (GD). The methodology looks at two separate aspects viz., observation first and participation next. A group of 15 students first watch and observe another 15 students participate in a GD and then participate in the next batch with another batch in the observation mode. This process will strengthen their skills. Personal interviews are carried out with the help of invited experts from the Industry. Action points for improvements are provided individually.
STP SPECIAL TRAINING PROGRAMMES AT MARWADI UNIVERSITY
From time to time several special training programs for the Faculty are announced and conducted. To name a few:
1. Mentoring Skills
2. The Art & Science of Designing a Question Paper
3. Advanced Communication Skills
4. Personal Effectiveness
5. Personality Analysis
6. Johari Window
7. The Silent Language – Body Language
8. The Art of Taking & Receiving Feedback
LTP LEADERSHIP TRAINING PROGRAMME
Learning intervention is provided in a structured process with the Faculty going through the Personal Effectiveness programme, the Johari window and the Time Management followed by a Personality Analysis programme. A hands-on Leadership module will then follow.